Know what to do about the Flu
|Flu Related Resources
New Jersey is in the grips of a severe flu outbreak in the 2012-2013 season. In addition to the seasonal flu, a separate norovirus, often accompanied with...
Learn more from the New Jersey Hospital Association's "Be a Flu Fighter" web site.
AtlantiCare takes the health and safety of our community very seriously. We have created this web page as a home for information and updates related to seasonal flu.
If you or a loved one is experiencing flu-like symptoms:
- Contact your primary care doctor or AtlantiCare Urgent Care. In most instances, these providers can deliver the healthcare services needed to treat the flu.
If you do not have a primary care provider:
- Call the AtlantiCare Access Center at 1-888-569-1000.
If you or a loved one becomes acutely ill with the flu – including experiencing symptoms such as constant vomiting, difficulty breathing or symptoms that temporarily improve but return with a higher fever and worse cough:
CDC Seasonal Flu Web Site: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention seasonal flu web site
New Jersey Hospital Association's "Be a Flu Fighter" Web Site
New Jersey Hospital Association's "Keep NJ Healthy" Facebook Page
Everyday Prevention and Treatment Tips
The CDC recommends the following everyday actions to help people stay healthy:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Get a flu shot. Your primary care provider can supply you with a flu shot.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people. Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
- If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
State and County Government web sites
New Jersey Department of Health
Atlantic County Department of Health
Cape May County Department of Health
Ocean County Department of Health