Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
What is Medical Oncology?
Oncology is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. There are several sub-specialties within oncology. Medical Oncology refers to the treatment of cancer primarily with drugs, such as chemotherapy.
Medical Oncology at AtlantiCare
The Department of Medical Oncology and Infusion Services at AtlantiCare Cancer Care Institute provides outpatient chemotherapy for treatment of cancer and blood disorders. Treatment is provided under the expert supervision of board-certified medical oncologists, physicians who are specially trained to care for your specific type of cancer. Our experienced patient-care team also includes certified nurse practitioners, certified oncology nurses, social workers, registered dietitians, pharmacists and other medical professionals.
AtlantiCare's cancer program is accredited by the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) Commission on Cancer and is affiliated with Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Our Areas of Specialty
- Solid tumors associated with breast, lung, prostate, ovary, stomach, pancreas, liver and colorectal cancer
- Sarcomas (soft-tissue cancers)
- Melanomas (skin cancers)
- Bleeding disorders
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Disorders of lymph nodes, white cells and bone marrow
- Chemotherapy and biotherapy
- Hormonal therapy for tumor disorders and endocrine disorders
- Implanted port flushes
- Therapeutic phlebotomy
- Blood products for treatment of anemia and low platelet count
- IV hydration
- Simple injections, such as flu vaccinations and growth factors (e.g., Neulasta®)
Additional Infusion Therapies
- Remicade® for treatment of Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Reclast® for treatment of post-menopausal osteoporosis
- Iron infusions
- Corticosteroids and anti-nausea medications
- IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulin) therapy for treatment of immune system disorders
Our private infusion bays and buddy bay are furnished with large, comfortable recliners for patients and flat-screen televisions.
Ensuring Your Comfort is Our Goal
Private examination rooms provide a quiet place for consultations with your doctors and nurses. Our main chemotherapy area is an open space with large windows that provide expansive views of daylight and nature. Patients receive treatment in our private and buddy infusion bays. Our staff provides a high level of personal attention to every patient, explaining what to expect during treatment, answering questions and providing encouraging support.
The private infusion bays and buddy bay are furnished with large, comfortable recliners for patients and flat-screen televisions. Each area also includes extra seating for family members to relax by their loved one's side during treatment.
All our treatment and patient care areas are designed with "green" building technologies and thoughtful amenities that promote a healing environment. The U.S. Green Building Council has awarded the AtlantiCare Cancer Care Institute Gold Certification for meeting its LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards. In addition, we have incorporated the healing arts throughout the Institute's nature-inspired décor, which features sculptures, paintings and other works of art that create a sense of tranquility and peacefulness for patients, visitors and staff.
To learn more, call the AtlantiCare Access Center at 1-888-569-1000