I Have Arthritis, Now What?
Consult your family physician so he can prescribe treatment. Treatment goals:
- Decrease arthritis symptoms and pain
- Delay slow progression of the disease
- Prevent or minimize further joint damage or deformities
- Maintain joint function
- Preserve mobility and range of motion
The Arthritis Foundation recommends seeing your doctor if your joint pain, stiffness or swelling lasts for two or more weeks.
Unfortunately people in the early stages of arthritis tend to self-medicate using
- over-the-counter topical creams and medications
- ice packs
- heating pads
- heat wraps
Your doctor can help you determine the best course of action for addressing your individual needs.